The fun bit is over and now you are left with mountains of wrapping paper, boxes and Christmas cards! Here are some tips for recycling what’s left after Christmas!
- Plain paper wrapping can be recycled but foil or glitter-decorated wrapping paper cannot and needs to go in the general waste.
- Before recycling ensure you remove all tape as this makes the paper difficult to recycle.
Christmas Trees & Wreaths
- Before recycling remember to remove all decorations and the tree pot if it has one.
- Real trees & wreaths can be recycled and turned into wood chipping. They can be taken to the local tip or collection arranged by local companies or cut up and composted at home.
Manorlands Christmas Tree collection service: collecting trees from postcode areas BD13, BD14, BD15, BD16, BD17, BD18, BD20, BD21, BD22, BD23 and LS29. Book a collection here
St Gemma’s Christmas Tree collection service: collecting trees from postcode areas LS6, LS7, LS8, LS13, LS14, LS15, LS16, LS17, LS18, LS19, LS20, LS21 and LS28. Book a collection here
Collection dates are 7, 8 and 9 January, and this is a great opportunity for your spirit of goodwill to continue into the New Year.
- Artificial trees & wreaths cannot be recycled but if they are in good condition they may be accepted at local charity shops.
- Before recycling remove all tape & plastic inserts
- Cardboard can be recycled in your recycling bin or at the local tip.
- Before recycling ensure you rip off any ribbons, embellishments or glittery sections as these cannot be recycled.
- Most cards are paper-based so along with the envelopes they can be recycled in your recycling bin or at the local tip. Many supermarkets also offer a Christmas card recycling bin in their carparks.
- Glass baubles cannot be recycled and should be wrapped in paper and disposed of in general waste.
- Plastic baubles are not made from recyclable plastic so should be disposed of in general waste.
- Tinsel is not recyclable.
Council Household Waste recycling centres for both Leeds & Bradford council are open throughout most of the festive period except Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day.
For more information about recycling, including opening times and locations of household waste recycling centres visit Bradford or Leeds council websites.
The Leeds City Council amended refuse collection times are detailed below.
Bin collections will continue as normal up until and including Saturday 22 December. A revised schedule will be in place for the two week period between Christmas Eve – Monday 24 December and Saturday 5 January, when bins will be emptied either a day earlier or a day later than normal. The usual service will resume from Monday 7 January.
|If your normal bin day is…
||Your collection days and dates will be…
||Sunday 23 December
||Monday 31 December
||Monday 24 December
||Wednesday 2 January
||Thursday 27 December
||Thursday 3 January
||Friday 28 December
||Friday 4 January
||Saturday 29 December
||Saturday 5 January
||Sunday 30 December
||Sunday 6 January
The Bradford City Council amended refuse collection times are detailed below: